Everyone who “works’ at U3A Pine Rivers is a volunteer. Without the people who give their time freely, this organisation would not exist.
There are some positions, or roles, that require some level of committment.
- Tutors and activity leaders
- Members of the Management Committee, including the executive positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer
- Organisational roles including: Caterer, Centre Manager, Course Coordinator, Communication Officer, IT manager, Membership Officer, Reception Coordinator, Welfare Support Officer. Basically all the roles you see on the first couple of pages of the Term Newsletter.
All of these roles would benefit from an assistant, or a backup person. Do you have an interest, or skills in these areas? Speak to a member of the committee about how you could help. Consider joining the committee, which meets once a month, or nominating for an executive position in the future.
Other ways to volunteer
There are many other ways you could offer your time to help U3A Pine Rivers. For many small tasks you could spend a few extra minutes before or after your class. There is no need to allocate another day unless you wish to.
- Check the lists in the classrooms at the U3A Centre Kallangur for suggestions of simple jobs that you could do.
- Offer to help on reception a couple of times each month. Training will be given.
- Simple housekeeping jobs – fill or empty the dishwasher, empty waste paper bins, shelve library books
- Offer to assist with events eg Open Day, Social mornings, special morning teas
Health benefits of volunteering
Volunteering offers vital help to people in need, worthwhile causes, and the community, but the benefits can be even greater for you, the volunteer. Volunteering and helping others can reduce stress, combat depression, keep you mentally stimulated, and provide a sense of purpose.
Have a chat to anyone on the committee, about how you could give some of your time to help others in U3A, and yourself.